Holding of a .IN Domain Name is considered to be risky by few, mainly due to the costs provided under clause 10 of the .IN Domain Dispute Resolution Policy (INDRP):
The remedies available to a Complainant pursuant to any proceeding before an Arbitrator shall be limited to requiring the cancellation of the Registrant’s domain name or the transfer of the Registrant’s domain name registration to the Complainant. Costs as may be deemed fit may also be awarded by the Arbitrator.
Therefore, it is necessary to see, the statistics of the specific Arbitrators, who have already presided in 50 or more INDRP cases but never ever awarded any compensation or even the basic legal costs:
- Mr. Rodney D. Ryder (appointed in 2009; first INDRP – all.in)
- Mr. Nikilesh Ramachandran (appointed in 2006; first INDRP – kbb.in)
- Mr. Saravanan Dandapani (appointed in 2006; first INDRP – web.in)
The above Arbitrators can be regarded as the safest ones, who have never ever awarded any costs of single rupee even while presiding as INDRP Arbitrator.
On the other hand, if we analyze the other side as to awarding of costs, Arbitrator Mr. Sampath Sridharan, who has also presided in over 50 INDRP matters, have awarded costs or compensation in 47 INDRP matters, out of which he has announced costs of 1 Lakh or more upto Rs 10 Lakhs in 40 INDRP matters.
The purpose of this post is to make Domain Owners aware, while they deal with any of these Arbitrators in an INDRP proceedings !
- New and the Outgoing INDRP Arbitrator
- Outgoing Arbitrator: Mr. Sampath Sridharan
- Delhi High Court: INDRP Arbitrators do not have power to confiscate disputed domain
- New INDRP matters by famous Brands/Trademark Holders in April 2015
- AmazonRegistry.in & TataTigor.co.in surrendered under INDRP proceedings